HOME ABOUT FAQ SHOP CONTACT HOME

The Inspirationals - Photographer: Talia White

I started to follow Talia on instagram and fell in love with her photos, they are ethereal, dreamy and exactly what I love! So I was super stoked when Talia agreed to take part in our inspirationals post! Starting out in the photography world at just sixteen, she had started her own company by just nineteen (and if that isn't inspirational I don't know what is!) AND launched a camera bag range. So we hope you enjoy! 

Talia herself, all photos used with permission and from her website.

What does an average day at work look like for you?

In the industry, there are two kinds of days, the fun filled shoot days and
the.... Then there are the hours upon hours and days upon days of post
production. The majority of days tend to be me at my desk editing from the
moment I wake until the moment I go to bed.

Do you primarily work alone or with other people?

Yes, I often work alone unless obviously I am shooting and in that case I get to
work with a large group of amazing creatives, which is quite the opposite to a
day at my desk.

Is this what you wanted to do as a child? Did you end up in this job by
“accident” or was it a planned career choice?

At 16 I was studying a BTEC in Art at Solihull College. If I am totally honest,
I had never considered being a photographer before this and it wasn’t until
a tutor took me through a photography project during my Art course that I
decided to take it further. One of my main memories as a child was that my
dad and granddad always loved photography as a hobby and they were always
taking pictures, so maybe somewhere along the lines I had picked it up from
them.  At 18 I converted my sisters garage into a studio, where I would practice
photographing friends and family.

It was then I started to hone my skills and
find my style as a photographer. I explored many styles but when I completed
a fashion photography project at college, that’s when I really thought ‘Wow,
this is it, this is what I want to do.’ Everyone around me loved what I had
produced. After that I never looked back. 

Gorgeous vintage tones. 

How long ago did you start on this path?

It was in 2007 that I started my photography studies, In which I studied for 4
years.

How long were you doing it before you made it into your career or
primary form of income?

Two years into my studies I got my first photography Job, I knew it was what I
wanted to do and refused to do anything else. At one point I was jobless for 8
months but refused to work In anything but Photography. I hadn’t studied for 4
years to not have a Job in what I was trained in.

Did anything significant happen to get you to that point, or was it a
series of small steps?

I wouldn’t say anything significant happened, all I know is I loved what I done
and nothing made me happier. Why should I work in a job that makes me
unhappy when I can do something that I love and am passionate about. 

 Dreamy.

What kind of education do you have?

I have a National Diploma In Photography & Higher National Diploma In
Photography & Digital Imaging.

Do you think official qualifications are important for someone entering
your industry?

In my time since leaving college I think I have been asked what qualifications I
have twice. Although I am glad I have them and my course didn’t just give me
a qualification it gave me confidence. Some of the best photographers in the
world are self taught.

If you went to school, did you enjoy studying? Could you see where it
might lead you at the time? What advice would you give to someone
else who might be studying to get into your industry?

I loved studying photography in my final years. I enjoyed the research and
would out my all into every project I would be given. My tutor always told me
I would work outside the box. While in my 2 final years at college I knew there
was nothing else I would do other than be a fashion photographer.
If I could give anyone advice I would say, work hard and give it your all, put
your heart into every project you are given meet those deadlines as you need
to be able to work 100x harder when you are actually in the industry, so be
prepared. Last of all, never give up, impossible is nothing. 
 


What do you think is the best thing about what you do?

For me there isn’t really a best thing... I love the whole process, I love shoot
days the travelling to different places and the editing process.

What’s the worst thing?

The worst thing is probably people hassling me for photos an hour after we
have left a shoot haha.

Would you call yourself a workaholic, & if so, are you alright with that?
Do you think that’s normal for your industry?

Yes, I would say I am, I work from the moment I wake until the moment I go
to bed, I don’t really go out as I get on edge thinking ‘I could have done this or
that is I wasn’t out’. I dedicate every minute of the day to getting what I want.
I truly believe that talent will get you far but ambition will get you further and
this is the reason I work so hard. Yes for sure I do think it is normal for the
photography industry. 


Amazing light. 

What would your number one suggestion be for someone who wants
to do what you do?
I would suggest assisting Photographers to gain professional experience.

...How about number two?
Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes improvement.

What do you wish you had known when you first started out?
I can’t really think of anything. Honestly I am happy with how everything has
fallen into place and I think if there were things I may have known things
wouldn’t be as they are today for me. 

 

  How cute? 

Are there any major misconceptions about your job or industry?

People tend to think Fashion Photography is a glamorous job and easy.
Another thing is, photographers starting out tend to think the better their
camera the better the photos, which is not the case. People tend to be
surprised when they see my kit.

What is the best thing that’s happened to you as a consequence of the
work you do?

Being shortlisted for Clothes Shows Young Fashion photographer of the year
is definitely up there with one of the best things to have happened to me.
I often teach workshops and this coming summer I will be working for NCS
The Challenge teaching photography. This is something I never imagined I’d
achieve and for me is something to be proud of.

What motivates you to keep doing what you’re doing?

I truly believe each person is born with a gift, this is my gift and I want to be
remembered for my work. That is what motivates me, and the idea I could
potentially inspire others that anything is possible. 

 
Who do you look up to within your industry & why?

I admire photographer Lara Jade, I have watched her grow since her days on
Deviantart. Her work is stunning and she as a person is so inspiring.

Rate how happy you are with what you do out of 100 (100 being the
best, 0 being devastatingly awful) on an average day.

100 - I think I am so blessed to do what I love everyday and to be paid for
what I do is a dream come true.

Is there much career progression available to you? What would you
like to do next?

My dreams and goals are ridiculously high, I believe people don’t aim high
enough, people aim and hit and thats enough for them. For me thats not the
case I would probably never ever feel like I’ve achieved enough. After I've
achieved one goal i’ll set another, then another then another.
This year my aim is to really get noticed as a photographer, and be published
in as many international magazines as possible.
Another goal is to make my Camera Bag range Te-Bags take off.

Do you think you’ll continue doing this for the rest of your life?

Of course, there is nothing else I’d rather do. The fact that I could still be
doing what I love at the age of 60 just like Mario Testino is mind blowing. 

Thank you so much to Talia for answering out questions! You should defiantly check her out in the following places! 








 

1 comment:

  1. These are lovely photos. She's a great photographer. It's nice that you were able to do a post about her.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by! We love reading what you think, and read every comment. Make sure you leave your link so we can check your blog out if you have one! Or come chat on twitter @oxwonderland