HOME ABOUT FAQ SHOP CONTACT HOME

The Inspirationals: Vix Adams

Just in case you are new to the Wonderland party, we interview people who are talented, creative, unusual, and down right inspirational! This one is a gem, especially for all you fashion lovers! 

Total babe herself Vix

Vix Adams works as a London based freelance Fashion Stylist and Creative Director on runway shows, music videos, commercial projects and fashion editorials. She has styled many celebrity clients including McFly, McBusted, Jo Whiley, Ms Dynamite, Example, Kate Nash, Lauren Pope, Lucy Watson, Lee Ryan, Shayne Ward to name a few. 

However currently she is styling up those X Factor boys a storm on the Xfactor 2014. We love her work and her style, and Vix was kind enough to let us ask her all about her inspiring career! 

Styled by Vix, Mcbusted announce their new tour!

Tell us about what you do.

I am a freelance fashion stylist working on Editorials, music videos, commericial television, runway shows for both Men and Women and predominently Celebrity Clients. I am currently the stylist for McBusted, X-Factor and the menswear Editor for HotHot Magazine.

What does an average day at work look like for you?

Hmm, there is no such thing as an average day in this business which is why I love it so much, every project and every day is totally different from one day to the next, Its definitely not your typical 9-5!
  
Do you primarily work alone or with other people?

I primarily work alone on most projects as I just prefer it that way as then I have complete creative control, and when working with clients I think its imperative to understand them in order to understand their style and vision. ith McBusted I work alone, but on a large scale project like the X-Factor I do work with assistants and a team of stylists.

 Vix with those rather stylish X Factor boys!

Is this what you wanted to do as a child? Did you end up in this job by “accident” or was it a planned career choice?

Probably not as a child as I don’t think I was aware that this role even existed. But I have always known I wanted to be involved with the fashion industry, it was about 10 years ago when I moved to London. I started to understand more about the role of a fashion stylist, and knew that it was the career path I was going to pursue.

How long ago did you start on this path?

I started working in fashion retail 15 years ago. From that point I worked my way up to retail management which I did for 4 years, and from there I went into a role of Visual Merchandiser for 5 years for brands such as Diesel, Armani, and DKNY. This was my first insight into the possibility of becoming a Fashion Stylist as a full time career. 

How long were you doing it before you made it into your career or primary form of income?

I have been a Fashion Stylist for 6 years and the first 3 years consisted mostly of networking and building my portfolio and client base. 

 Working with Lucy Watson in her role at HotHot Magazine.

Did anything significant happen to get you to that point, or was it a series of small steps?

A series of small steps definitely. Starting with test shoots, magazine editorials, commercial clients, celebrity clients, then tours. It has been step by step but always gently building in the direction I wanted it to go in.

What kind of education do you have?

I had a pretty standard education, school, high school, then college, I left college with the intention of taking a gap year before going to University. That’s when I started working in Fashion and realised I wanted to work rather than study, so that’s what I did.

Do you think official qualifications are important for someone entering your industry?

For me, no it wasn’t a necessity, I'm sure courses can help you get one step up on the ladder but that wasn’t how I wanted to do it. I think Styling and being creative is not necessarily something that can be taught, its either in you or it isn't and it has to be driven by passion not paperwork.


The beautiful lady herself

If you went to school, did you enjoy studying? Could you see where it might lead you at the time? What advice would you give to someone else who might be studying to get into your industry?

If I'm being honest, I hated studying, I hated the formality of it all, I loved the creative classes but Physics and Maths etc were never really top of my priorities even from a young age. If your studying Fashion or Styling or Visual Merchandising then that’s great, it’s a complex industry and I'm sure it prepares you for what this business entails. My advice would be to get yourself out there, assisting other stylists and expect to work long hours, for a long time, for free, that’s how you will truly understand the nature of the business.

What do you think is the best thing about what you do?

Without doubt the best thing about my job is that each day is different, whether it be location or people who you meet or what visual is expected from you. There really is never a dull moment in this career. It challenges you and pushes you continuously and I don’t think you ever stop learning. There is always something new fresh and exciting just around the corner.

Would you call yourself a workaholic, and if so, are you alright with that? Do you think that’s normal for your industry?

I am 100% a workaholic and I wouldn’t have it any other way. My job is my life. I think you have to be and I think within this industry its totally normal from stylists to photographers to MUA's. You are only as good as your last job, so you are constantly striving for more, striving to do better and push creative boundaries.

More of Vix's Work
What would your number one suggestion be for someone who wants to do what you do?

The best piece of advice I can give is to never ever give up. Be prepared to work for years for long hours, for free. Take every opportunity that comes to you and push yourself to the limit. Always be enthusiastic and motivated. Be willing to make mistakes as it’s the best way you will learn.

...How about number two?

Always carry a notepad, write lists, ideas, inspiration. Anything that will keep your brain mentally stimulated...and never give up!!!

What do you wish you had known when you first started out?

I wish I would have known how long it takes to actually build your name and your portfolio which means working hard for free for a long time. But so glad I did that as it taught me a great deal.

Are there any major misconceptions about your job or industry?

Everyone presumes that being a Fashion Stylist is super Glamourous. At times it is and it has its perks but it takes a lot of hard work and a lot of determination. If you are willing to put in the work and the hours then it’s the most rewarding job you can do.

What is the best thing that’s happened to you as a consequence of the work you do?

The best thing that’s happened to me as a consequence of what I do is genuinely the friendships I have built. My highlight so far I would have to say is styling Mcbusted for their sold out 37 arena date tour.

What motivates you to keep doing what you’re doing?

I love what I do, so the motivation for me is easy. I'm quite self critical so I'm always looking for ways to improve so that motivates me to always want to do more.

More of Vix's X Factor Styling.


Who do you look up to within your industry & why?

I guess the obvious person is Grace Coddington, stylist for Vogue. Shes so iconic and still continues to be at the top of her game.
Recently I have been crushing on Ainsley Hutchence of Sticks and Stones. Shes so rad and her work always pushes boundarys which I love.


Rate how happy you are with what you do out of 100 (100 being the best, 0 being devastatingly awful) on an average day.

oooh, I put 100% into everything I do and I believe in it fully, so I'm always pleased with the outcome, but there is always room for improvement. I would say a strong 70. I don’t think I will ever say 100 as then there's no where higher to go!

Is there much career progression available to you? What would you like to do next?

There are always new opportunities within this business and always different avenues to explore. Next year I want to get into possibly doing presenting fashion features for TV and online.

Do you think you’ll continue doing this for the rest of your life?

Who knows what is around the corner, but yes I am very happy in my career and the direction it is going in at the moment. I tend to set bench marks of what I want to achieve and then when I reach that I tend to set another goal. I want to continue to be a fashion stylist for as long as I am still passionate about it. I have no intentions of slowing down anytime soon.

We would like to thank Vix SO much for taking the time out of her busy schedule to answer our questions! You can follow her work and life at the following links: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for popping by! We love reading what you think, and read every comment. Make sure you leave your link so we can check your blog out if you have one! Or come chat on twitter @oxwonderland